Cooloola Coastcare monitors local marine turtle activity in a project called TurtleCare.
Volunteers monitor turtles nesting on the beaches north and south of Rainbow Beach and assist with rescuing stranded and injured turtles.
This started during the 2018-2019 turtle season.
Do you walk along Rainbow Beach in the mornings on a regular basis?
We are looking for volunteers for TurtleCare on Rainbow Beach from October to March. Training is provided at no cost.
While you are walking in the early morning, you can be looking for turtle tracks or hatchlings and reporting them to our project leader. Even sightings of dead turtles or egg shells are useful data for our research.
Phone or text Joan Burnett : 0407 810 510
or email the Coordinator@CooloolaCoastcare.org.au for any queries or if you can join in local turtle monitoring.
Latest Sightings and Activities
13 December 2014
Nest on path at Rainbow Beach swimming area
The 'Mountaineer' Green Turtle
Juvenile transported to the Animal Hospital for treatment.
Rescue attempt of nest of turtle eggs during Cyclone Oma
Sick floating marine turtle rescue
Taken to Sea Life Mooloolaba for treatment
- 2019-08-03 Turtle stranded at Bullock Point (Deceased)
- 2019-07-28 Turtle floating in Wide Bay Bar (Unable to locate)
- 2019-07-28 Turtle trapped in Crab Pot (Successful rescue by a volunteer)
- 2019-xx-xx Rescue of floating turtle. Transported to Reef HQ Aquarium Turtle Hospital. (Deceased)
- 2019-01-xx Report of deceased turtle Inskip Point