You will accompany your team leader to various sites. They will be an expert in some but not all species. As a team, you and your fellow "Citizen Scientists" will be guided in the process of finding, identifying, photographing and learning about the various, plants, animals and fungi that you find.
- most will involve bushwalking so wear appropriate shoes and sun protection such as a hat, sunshirt and sunscreen. Insect repellent is handy at some sites and in some seasons.
- No specimen collection will be done by volunteers but you might help carry specimens
- Take lots of photographs of specimens and the group in action and the locations
- but there will also be activities back at the hall - presentations, artworks, data entry.
Base Camp Activities
At Base Camp in the hall, there will be friends to be made and reconnected with, events and facilities for you to access:
- Endless tea, coffee and water filling station
- Packed Brown Bag Lunch collection
- Social events and dinners
- Presentations by team leaders and guests in the evenings
- Nature inspired artworks and art activities by the Gympie Regional Gallery
- Data entry of the day's finds and matching photos to specimens
- Photo opportunities of specimens, Eureka moments and the group in action at Base Camp
Early morning and evening guided excursions:
- These are in addition to the 'blitz' field trips
- Guided by team leaders and guests in their areas of specialty
- Usually bird walks in the early morning, night time frogging excursions and spotlighting walks
- Photo opportunities abound